Header Ads



Dros rapist 'Nicholas Ninow' case postponed till 1 November 2018 - No bail application, pictures can be taken in court

Dros rapist 'Nicholas Ninow' case postponed till 1 November 2018 - No bail application, pictures can be taken in court

There will be no bail application for the accused in the Dros rape case and the accused may be photographed as the court is alive to “freedom of expression and a free trial”. However, this comes with conditions.

The accused will remain in police custody until his next court appearance on November 1.

Magistrate Mali Mokwena ruled that the media may take still photographs 15 minutes before and 15 minutes after court proceedings.

The accused who has been provisionally charged with rape, possession of drugs, assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm and intimidation appeared in the Pretoria magistrate’s court on Tuesday with a grey hoodie covering his head.

His appearance follows a social media post that went viral last week Saturday of a white man screaming at people to “F***k off” after he was found naked in a toilet of the Dros restaurant in Silverton, Pretoria with a little girl.Although the accused’s name has been made public over several social media posts and some newspaper headlines, including his image, the Mail & Guardian has chosen not to use his name as he has not formally pleaded.

The state, represented by Advocate Senette Jacobson, has asked for the accused’s cellphone as they believe it contains substantial evidence.

The defence, represented by Legal Aid’s Riaan du Plessis argued that the state should not have access to the accused phone as it is “unconstitutional”.

“The accused has the right against self-incrimination,” said Du Plessis. He said the accused did not want to help the state at this stage but could possibly in the future.
Powered by Blogger.